Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Quotes by William Shakespeare

“A wretched soul,bruised with adversity,We bid be quiet when we hear it cry;
But were we burdened with like weight of pain, As much or more we should ourselves complain.”
-William Shakespeare

“Action is eloquence.”
-William Shakespeare

“And since you know you cannot see yourself, so well as by reflection,
I, your glass, will modestly discover to yourself, that of yourself which you yet know not of.” -William Shakespeare

“And thus I clothe my naked villainy With old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ;
And seem a saint, when most I play the devil.”
-William Shakespeare

“Assume a virtue, if you have it not.”
-William Shakespeare

“Be great in act, as you have been in thought.”
-William Shakespeare

“Blow, blow, thou winter wind Thou art not so unkind, As man's ingratitude.”
-William Shakespeare

“Conversation should be pleasant without scurrility,
witty without affectation, free without indecency,
learned without conceitedness, novel without falsehood.”
-William Shakespeare

“For they are yet ear-kissing arguments.”
-William Shakespeare

“Free from gross passion or of mirth or anger constant in spirit,
not swerving with the blood, garnish'd and deck'd in modest compliment,
not working with the eye without the ear, and but in purged judgement trusting neither?
Such and so finely bolted didst thou seem.”
-William Shakespeare

"“Glory is like a circle in the water,”
-Which never ceaseth to enlarge itself,
“Till by broad spreading it disperses to naught.”"
-William Shakespeare

“God bless thee; and put meekness in thy mind, love, charity, obedience, and true duty!” -William Shakespeare

“He who has injured thee was either stronger or weaker than thee.
If weaker, spare him; if stronger, spare thyself.”
-William Shakespeare

“His life was gentle;
and the elements So mixed in him,
that Nature might stand up,
And say to all the world, THIS WAS A MAN!”
-William Shakespeare

“How poor are they who have not patience! What wound did ever heal but by degrees.”
-William Shakespeare

“How use doth breed a habit in a man.”
-William Shakespeare

“I am not bound to please thee with my answers.”
-William Shakespeare

“I did never know so full a voice issue from so empty a heart:
but the saying is true 'The empty vessel makes the greatest sound'.”
-William Shakespeare

“I dote on his very absence.”
-William Shakespeare

“I feel within me a peace above all earthly dignities, a still and quiet conscience.”
-William Shakespeare

“I hate ingratitude more in a man than lying, vainness, babbling, drunkenness,
or any taint of vice whose strong corruption inhabits our frail blood.”
-William Shakespeare

“I must be cruel only to be kind;
Thus bad begins, and worse remains behind.”
-William Shakespeare

“I pray thee cease thy counsel, Which falls into mine ears as profitless as water in a sieve.” -William Shakespeare

“I pray you bear me henceforth from the noise and rumour of the field, where I may think the remnant of my thoughts in peace, and part of this body and my soul with contemplation and devout desires.”
-William Shakespeare

“I wasted time, and now doth time waste me.”
-William Shakespeare

“I wish you well and so I take my leave,
I Pray you know me when we meet again.”
-William Shakespeare

“Ill deeds are doubled with an evil word.”
-William Shakespeare

“In a false quarrel there is no true valour.”
-William Shakespeare

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility.”
-William Shakespeare

“In time we hate that which we often fear.”
-William Shakespeare

“It is not enough to help the feeble up, but to support him after.”
-William Shakespeare

“Lady you bereft me of all words, Only my blood speaks to you in my veins,
And there is such confusion in my powers.”
-William Shakespeare

“Like as the waves make towards the pebbled shore, So do our minutes hasten to their end.” -William Shakespeare

“Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind.”
-William Shakespeare

“Mine honour is my life; both grow in one;
take honour from me and my life is done.”
-William Shakespeare

“My words fly up, my thoughts remain below. Words without thoughts never to heaven go.” -William Shakespeare

“Nothing emboldens sin so much as mercy.”
-William Shakespeare

“Our bodies are our gardens to which our wills are gardeners.”
-William Shakespeare

“Our remedies oft in ourselves do lie.”
-William Shakespeare

“Pity is the virtue of the law, and none but tyrants use it cruelly.”
-William Shakespeare

“Praising what is lost makes the remembrance dear.”
-William Shakespeare

“See first that the design is wise and just:
that ascertained, pursue it resolutely;
do not for one repulse forego the purpose that you resolved to effect.”
-William Shakespeare

“So may he rest, his faults lie gently on him!”
-William Shakespeare

“Strong reasons make strong actions.”
-William Shakespeare

“Suspicion always haunts the guilty mind.”
-William Shakespeare

“Sweet are the uses of adversity, which, like a toad, though ugly and venomous, wears yet a precious jewel in its head.”
-William Shakespeare

“The peace of heaven is theirs that lift their swords, in such a just and charitable war.”
-William Shakespeare

“The sands are number'd that make up my life.”
-William Shakespeare

“The soul of this man is in his clothes.”
-William Shakespeare

“The trust I have is in mine innocence, and therefore am I bold and resolute.”
-William Shakespeare

“Their understanding Begins to swell and the approaching tide Will shortly fill the reasonable shores That now lie foul and muddy.”
-William Shakespeare

“Thou art all the comfort, The Gods will diet me with.”
-William Shakespeare

“Thou shalt be both the plaintiff and the judge of thine own cause.”
-William Shakespeare

“Though I am not naturally honest, I am so sometimes by chance.”
-William Shakespeare

“Thy words, I grant are bigger, for I wear not, my dagger in my mouth.”
-William Shakespeare

“Virtue and genuine graces in themselves speak what no words can utter.”
-William Shakespeare

“We are advertis'd by our loving friends.”
-William Shakespeare

“We do not keep the outward form of order, where there is deep disorder in the mind.”
-William Shakespeare

“We know what we are, but not what we may be.”
-William Shakespeare

“When griping grief the heart doth wound, and doleful dumps the mind opresses, then music, with her silver sound, with speedy help doth lend redress.”
-William Shakespeare

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

there is no such thing as good or bad; but thinking makes it so.
-shakespear

Anonymous said...

Hello, as you can see this is my first post here.
I will be happy to get some help at the start.
Thanks and good luck everyone! ;)